Direct-to-consumer (D2C) ecommerce is evolving as brands adapt to achieve profitable growth amid increased competition. Many digital natives are learning what it takes to win enduring brand status, while others have found that the early D2C playbook is no longer an easy path to riches. As established brands lean into their own D2C strategies, the true keys to D2C success are now coming into view.
3 KEY QUESTIONS THIS REPORT WILL ANSWER
- How big is D2C ecommerce and how fast is it growing?
- Which brands have been the most successful at D2C strategies and what are the drivers?
- Which growth strategies should established brands adapt from digitally native brands, and vice versa?
WHAT’S IN THIS REPORT? Our latest forecast for D2C ecommerce sales, plus a breakdown of strategies that D2C brands should focus on to scale their growth.
KEY STAT: In the US, D2C ecommerce sales for established brands will reach $117.47 billion this year, more than three times larger than those of digitally native brands.
Here’s what’s in the full report
Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- Key Points
- The State of D2C Ecommerce: How Big Is the Opportunity?
- Key Players in D2C Ecommerce
- The D2C Model
- Trends that Are Disrupting D2C Ecommerce
- Implications for Marketers: How to Build Breakthrough Brands in the Digital Age
- Insider Intelligence Interviews
Charts in the Report
- US D2C Ecommerce Sales for Established Brands vs. Digitally Native Brands, 2018-2024 (billions)
- US D2C Ecommerce Sales, 2018-2024 (billions, % change, and % of ecommerce sales)
- US D2C Ecommerce Sales Growth for Established Brands vs. Digitally Native Brands, 2018-2024 (% change)
- Leading US Direct-to-Consumer (D2C) Market vs. Ecommerce Market Product Categories, Aug-Oct 2021 (% of total merchants)
- Top 25 Direct-to-Consumer (D2C) Brands Worldwide, Ranked by Total Visits, 2020 & 2021 (millions of total visits and % change)
- Total Visits to Leading Direct-to-Consumer (D2C) Brand Websites Worldwide, March 2019-Dec 2021 (millions)
- Nike Direct-to-Consumer Sales Worldwide, 2010-2021 (% of total revenues)
- Leading Ecommerce Platforms Used by US Direct-to-Consumer (D2C) Brands, Oct 2021 (% of total)
- Presence of US Direct-to-Consumer (D2C) Brands on Social Media, by Business Size, Oct 2021 (% of total in each group)
- US Direct-to-Consumer (D2C) Brands' Share of Ad Spending, Jan 2021-March 2022 (% of total)
- Digital Ad Spending vs. Price* Growth Worldwide, by Channel, Q4 2021 (% change vs. same period of prior year)
- Top 15 US Direct-to-Consumer Brands, Ranked by TV Ad Impressions, 2020 & 2021 (billions and % change vs. prior year)
- Leading Reasons US Adults Would Buy a Traditional Brand Over a Direct-to-Consumer (D2C) Brand, Oct 2021 (% of respondents)
Interviews for the Report
- Candice Collison, Of an Origin, Co-Founder, CEO, and Creative Director
- Kathryn Flynn, Feather, Director, Growth Marketing
- Robert Franklin, Peloton Interactive, Inc., Senior Vice President, Ecommerce
- Jehan Hamedi, Vizit, Founder and CEO
- Sara Livingston, Rockerbox, Head of Customer Solutions
- Kate MacCabe, Brooklinen, Vice President, Product
- Shane Pittson, Quip, Vice President, Growth